Digoxin Toxicity May Result in Serious Clinical Outcomes
Digoxin toxicity is a serious medical condition that can be difficult to recognize in patients whose health may already be compromised. Studies have shown that digoxin or digitalis poisoning can impact length of hospital stay.1A review of 17 patients hospitalized with a diagnosis of digoxin toxicity found1:
- A mean length of stay of 3.3 days
- 1 patient received digoxin immune Fab therapy
- Throughout patients' hospital stay, the mean serum digoxin concentration was 3.8 µg/L
- A mean length of stay of 4.2 days
Digoxin toxicity can be fatal
In some cases, digoxin toxicity can be fatal. Studies have shown that cardiac glycosides like digoxin or digitalis have a higher mortality rate than that associated with toxicity from other cardiovascular drugs.2
Fatality from digoxin toxicity may be preventable. Risk of digoxin toxicity may be mitigated by early recognition of digoxin toxicity and may mean improved treatment outcomes.3,4
To report an adverse event or for 24-hour medical information, call 1-844-293-0007.References
- Gandhi AJ, Vlasses PH, Morton DJ, Bauman JL. Economic impact of digoxin toxicity. Pharmacoeconomics. 1997;12:175-181.
- Bronstein AC, Spyker DA, Cantilena LR Jr, Green JL, Rumack BH, Giffin SL. 2008 Annual Report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers' National Poison Data System (NPDS): 26th Annual Report. Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2009;47:911-1084.
- Ma G, Brady WJ, Pollack M, Chan TC. Electrocardiographic manifestations: digitalis toxicity. J Emerg Med. 2001;20:145-152.
- Hauptman PJ, Kelly RA. Digitalis. Circulation. 1999;99:1265-1270.
DigiFab® Digoxin Immune Fab (Ovine) is indicated for the treatment of patients with life-threatening or potentially life-threatening digoxin toxicity or overdose. DigiFab® is not indicated for milder cases of digitalis toxicity.
Important Safety Information
Patients with poor cardiac function may deteriorate secondary to the withdrawal of the inotropic action of digoxin by DigiFab®. Rapid drop in serum potassium concentration may occur after treatment with DigiFab®. Patients with known allergies to sheep protein, papaya, or papain are at higher risk of an anaphylactic reaction. Suicidal ingestion may involve more than one drug. Toxic effects of other drugs or poisons should not be overlooked. The most common adverse reactions (>7%) related to DigiFab® are worsening congestive heart failure (13%), hypokalemia (13%) and worsening atrial fibrillation (7%). Please see full prescribing information, including events, precautions, or warnings.